29.10.2021 15:33, Nick Holland пишет:
On 10/27/21 1:11 PM, kasak wrote:
Hello misc!

I want to replace my two 2TB hdd, joined in raid1.

I have two 4TB drives, and I want to replace smaller drives with them.

it wouldn't be a problem, if i had some spare sata ports, but in my pc i
have only one left.

So, I can attach only one of this 4 tb drives at the same time.

I think, maybe I can attach new 4 tb drive to old raid as a third
volume, wait for it "repair",

Unfortunately, unless something changed when I wasn't looking, you can't
change the number of drives in a softraid RAID1 after creation.  I really
wish you could.

and then remove 2 tb drives, add one more 4 tb and "repair" raid again.

I don't know, will this operation actually grow my partition, or it is a
bad idea from the beginning?

nope, you would end up with a 2T RAID partition on a 4G drive. Which is
fine, except you didn't achieve your goal.

Alternate, can i create raid 1 volume from just one drive, rsync files
between raids and after add another disk?

Again, you can't change the number of drives in a softraid RAID1 set after
creation.  And you can't change the size of a softraid partition.

What I would (and have) done is this, assuming this is your only computer
available:
* extract both your 2T drives.
* insert both 4T drives, build a RAID1 set.
* Insert ONE of the old 2T drives and ONE of the 4T drives into your system. On boot, you end up with two degraded arrays...but that will work for your
purposes!
* Copy the data from the old disks to the new disks
* Change fstab
* Remove the old 2T disk, and replace with the 4T disk left over, rebuild
the degraded array onto the 4T disk.
* DONE!

Now...since you have ONE spare port still, I'd actually cheat and remove
one 2T disk, and put both new disks in place, build the array, and copy
over. Fix fstab, remove the old 2T disk, done.

Thank you very much for detailed explanation!
I will go this way!
HOWEVER, something else to consider -- from later messages, sounds like you have a non-RAID boot drive and RAID data drives.  I SUSPECT you could build out your new 4T array as a bootable softraid and move your boot drive data AND the 2T of old data all to the one 4T array and still have a lot of new
space (a basic OpenBSD install is barely noticeable in a 4T disk!).  Now
you have redundancy in both boot and data, and one less disk, which will be
a small power reduction, and one less point of failure.

Nick.