Jan Stary:

> I don't think it's lpr's fault, so this might not even be the list,
> for lpr just sends what it gets (except wrapping it in the cf, df files
> of the lpr protocol, right?), but I would still like to know:

Exactly.  lpr/lpd is just a transport protocol.

> is it that gv can somehow interpret the broken pdf in the right way,
> sending the right bits to the printer to print, but the Brother printer
> (i.e., the printer's pdf interpreter?) can not?

Well, my HP LaserJet Pro M252dw occasionally refuses to print a PDF,
declaring it corrupt.  My usual workaround is to view to file with
xpdf and print from there, which sends a PostScript conversion to
the printer.  So, yes, there are definitely malformed PDFs that a
PDF viewer might cope with but a printer might not.

(FWIW, my M252 prints your document correctly according to your
description.)

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de