On Mittwoch, 3. November 2021 14:41:08 -03 Zack Newman wrote:
> dhcpleased(8) is unable to renew DHCP leases from my ISP,
> Xfinity/Comcast. This in turn is causing leases to expire leading to
> IPv4 drops that last between 15 and 20 seconds until a new lease can
> be binded. Note that lease binding does succeed.
Hi Zack,
Similarily here. Did you specify a lladdr in your hostname.if after
"dhcp"?
I get a lease with my hardware MAC address without specifying lladdr,
but it is not the right one of course. If I force the fake MAC address
and then I ask for a new lease I get nothing.
I'm going to write about it later together with all the pertinent
infomation. Just now I am too busy with other disasters.
Cheers
Eike

> For about a month before the release of OpenBSD 7.0, I had been using
> dhcpleased(8) instead of dhclient(8) on OpenBSD 6.9 as I wanted to be
> "ahead of the curve" before the eventual release of OpenBSD 7.0.
> During that time, there were no problems with lease renewals. I have
> not made any hardware or software changes other than the upgrade to
> 7.0.
>
> I've factory reset my bridge modem about a dozen times, I've changed
> the MAC address of the interface connected to the modem, I've
> experimented using different NICs altogether, and nothing has worked.
> At the time, I "knew" it was Xfinity; so I demanded that a tech come
> over and inspect the cable lines and modem. They said it was fine;
> although based on Internet reviews, that doesn't say much as they are
> often wrong. It wasn't until I had a slice of humble pie and actually
> considered that the problem was indeed my router that I was able to
> fix the problem by switching to dhcpcd which I have been already
> using for DHCPv6. Sure enough, I have had no issues with IPv4
> renewals since then.
>
> I do know that Xfinity, at least where I am, does NOT respond to
> unicast renewals for both DHCP and DHCPv6, but I am unsure if that is
> relevant. Before I successfully switched to dhcpcd, I made sure to
> log dhcpleased(8) over night. Here are the results:
[snip]