Hi Steve,

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 10:21:51AM -0800, Steve Williams wrote:
| Does anyone have recommendations to accomplish this?  It's just a
| hobby so I don't want to spend a huge amount of money on it.

One thing I've done in the past is to open up my laptop and point its
camera in the direction of the object of interest.  With fswebcam from
the portstree, I then took simple pictures from cron or using the
fswebcam option to do so (see the -l option) which I combined into a
timelapse video (the rise and fall of my sourdough starter - very
exciting).  I don't think there's a tool in base that takes pictures;
there's only video(1) which has the ability to record videos, as far
as I know, but I'm happy to be proven wrong here.

This should work equally well with any supported USB webcam.  Plug in
a camera, `pkg_add fswebcam; sysctl kern.video.record=1` as root and
check the fswebcam manpage.

Cheers,

Paul

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/