On Sat, Dec 11, 2021 at 06:06:43PM +0200, u...@mailo.com wrote:
> Another reason to prefer the cat variant is that it lets you actually
> string together a normal shell pipeline. For instance, if you want
> progress information with cat you can combine it with the pv command:
>
> # Cat version with progress meter
> cat image.iso | pv >/dev/sdb
But you can with dd as well, and still get the useful options.
$ pv image.iso | dd of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
Last time I wrote a disk image I used a zcat ...img.gz | dd pipeline,
could easily have included pv.

Besides, "almost not needed" applies to cat as well, between ed, sed and
even dd. cat is just better^Wmore convenient than those.
Creating large zeroed files? I'd make them sparse with truncate(2) long
before using non-standard cat options.