Hi Ulf,

On Fri, Jan 07, 2022 at 10:52:20PM +0100, Ulf Brosziewski wrote:
> When the touchpad stops working, you could enable wsmouse logging, make
> one or two movements on the touchpad, and extract and post the relevant
> part of /var/log/messages.  It might help to determine where the problem
> is.

I will try this the next time the touchpad stops working.

In the meantime...
> Does the problem persist when you throw away your xorg.conf?

I can't easily tell because without xorg.conf the system is unusable
due to the "cursor jumps to left or top of screen" problem.

> And BTW,
> you have different hardware now, is it still necessary to avoid those
> cursor jumps?

Yes, xorg.conf is still necessary on both my T530 and my T580 to avoid
the cursor jumps, at least for twm and ctwm.  xorg.conf is NOT necessary
for fvwm on either machine.

All the best, keep safe and COVID-free, -- Jonathan