On 2022-01-14, Harald Dunkel <harald.dun...@aixigo.com> wrote:
> On 2022-01-14 10:42:56, Harald Dunkel wrote:
>>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> trying to upgrade the installed packages I get
>>
>> # pkg_add -u
>> https://cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/7.0/packages-stable/amd64/: TLS connect
>> failure: failed to open CA file '/etc/ssl/cert.pem': Permission denied
>> https://cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/7.0/packages/amd64/: TLS connect
>> failure: failed to open CA file '/etc/ssl/cert.pem': Permission denied
>> https://cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/7.0/packages/amd64/: empty
>> Couldn't find updates for bash-5.1.8 bzip2-1.0.8p0 ...
>
>       chmod a+rx /etc/ssl
>
> did the trick, but this doesn't look reasonable.

Why would that not be reasonable? It's setting it back to the default
permissions after whatever change you've made to it.

There are various system daemons and utilities (including sysupgrade,
syspatch, pkg_add, ntpd, rpki-client, syslogd, smtpd) that will
want to make TLS connections as a non-root user, at least in some
configurations. Some of these may open cert.pem while they still have
privileges but not always.

> In general, if there is a permission problem due to file system
> access bits, then it would be wise to include euid and egid in
> the error message.

Not sure if that helps really. If you'd seen that, maybe you would have
fixed it for _pkgfetch and not noticed some other software that would
like to use it..