On Fri, 21 Jan 2022, Stuart Longland wrote:

On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 07:26:54 +0100
Caspar Schutijser <cas...@schutijser.com> wrote:

I find that, even with Firefox configured to separate the two, I'll
start keying in an address like `http://some.internal.site/` and
Firefox "thinks" I want to do a Google search for `http://`.

How did you configure this? I've set keyword.enabled to false in
about:config which makes sure it never uses the information in the
location bar as a search query. See
https://kb.mozillazine.org/Keyword.enabled

Hamburger menu → Settings

Choose "Search" from the left-hand category list.

Click "Add search bar in toolbar" radio button, it should change instantly.

It is new to me that having separate widgets is now only a choice.

But even as it was the standard to have a separate box for search,
firefox did search from the URL box.

To disable it was a big "about:config" theatre I cannot reproduce.
The old "prefs.js" configuration still works.

I know people that do not know the difference between entering an URL
and searching in google. To go to their internet banking, they search
in google for their bank. Web sites are done for these perhaps average
people and for these browsers we are compelled to use.

Rod.