On 2022-02-02, Avon Robertson <avo...@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> I am trying to add a new PCI product ID (0xc158) for a serial interface
> interface card to /usr/src/sys/dev/pci/pcidevs.
>
> For some reason e.g.: an omission or error due to something I should
> [not] have done; make will not execute as shown below with other
> relevant information.
>
> I would appreciate some guidance and input from anyone who can identify
> my omission or error.

Not sure what is up here, for what you're trying to do it should just be
a case of adding to pcidevs and running "make". Maybe something in mk.conf
or your environment but I don't know what it could be. Try running the awk
command by hand and see if that gives any clues?

I've tried to get a similar device working before and didn't quite manage
it, but I'll give a few hints from what I worked out, unless there were
some changes to puc(4) in the meantime which I missed then adding the device
id is just the start.

> $ fgrep -C -e c158 pcidevs
> product OXFORD2 OXPCIE952       0xc110  OXPCIE952 Parallel
> product OXFORD2 OXPCIE952S      0xc120  OXPCIE952 Serial
> product OXFORD2 OXPCIE952S_1    0xc158  OXPCIE952 Serial

FAAIK the device you added is the same IC as 0xc120 but is configured to use
the native uart rather than the legacy uart (mapped to memory rather
than io space); the mode is usually set by either jumpers or SMD resistors
depending on the card (http://www.baddinsbits.altervista.org/pcie952mod.html)

The device I tried to get working was OXPCIE954 (configured to native
mode) and I had trouble getting the uart working at the right speed,
see https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=135068369817918&w=2 and
the other thread referenced in there.

There are some more recent changes for Linux relating to configuring
speeds on this family of ICs which are probably worth looking at
https://lore.kernel.org/all/alpine.deb.2.21.2107131504270.9...@angie.orcam.me.uk/T/