On 2022-02-19, Brodey Dover <dover...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hello all,
>
>  I've configured hostname.pppoe0 and hostname.re0 as per the pppoe manpage
>  for OpenBSD (I'm running 7) and I'm unable to successfully leverage the
>  Bell HomeHub 4000's pppoe passthrough. I've verified that passthrough does
>  work with my Windows 7 laptop, however, I just can't get pppoe to move past
>  the initialization stage.

Might help to show your config.

My typical config in hostname.pppoe0 is something like this

inet 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 0.0.0.1 pppoedev em1 authproto chap authname
"user@realm" authkey "password" up

>  The PADI gets sent, but ultimately it'll timeout. After adjusting to the
>  second config in the man page where mut1508 is set to the physical device,

That is a special case and is very unlikely to ever be _required_ by an
ISP and often won't work. Normally you're better off starting with the
default MTU to get things working initially, then try that later if needed
as a refinement (but remember that it's there in case things stop working
later; sometimes internal changes in the ISP network will stop it from
working later)..

>  pppoe0: ipcp parse opt values:  address 10.11.1.81 [not agreed]  send
>  conf-nak

The other side proposed this address (possibly for the address of their
end of the connection?) and your side rejected it.