Trace the Route <trace.the.ro...@protonmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to include a newer version of mrouted in the base
> installation of OpenBSD? The existing version of mrouted (v3.8) is
> obviously quite old and lacks functionality found in newer versions.
>
> For example, the existing version of mrouted is not able to bind to
> both ends of a pair(4) interface, whereas the latest version (v4.4)
> has no issue with this.

I haven't heard of anyone using mrouted in a very long time.

This is an imported daemon which has almost no maintainance or security
work.  No chroot, no pledge, no unveil -- I see no evidence of any privsep
at all!

I also don't see any serious audit/review in the commit logs.

Unfortunately I suspect new code would be similarily weak.  Let me
guess, upstream calls srandom()...