On 2022-04-06, rea...@catastrophe.net <rea...@catastrophe.net> wrote:
> I have redis configured to start with rspamd. The configuration is default
> with no changes after the port install. Redis has been failing to start and
> doesn't give much information back when running with `--loglevel verbose'.
>
> I'm able to run redis-server as root, but starting up with `rcctl start

If you've started it as root, the database files may now not be usable by
_redis, so check that first..

I would run it from the command line, as the _redis user, under ktrace,
and see if kdump gives clues.

> redis' just fails with no messages anywhere (yes, even adding `--loglevel
> verbose' to /etc/rc.d/redis flags).

These scripts are not suppsoed to be edited. You'll probably have errors at
update
time. The proper way to change flags is to set daemonname_flags in
rc.conf.local,
either directly or with rcctl - see rc.d(8), rcctl(8). e.g.
"rcctl set redis flags --whatever /etc/redis/redis.conf"

> # dmesg | grep mem
> real mem = 1056956416 (1007MB)
> avail mem = 1009049600 (962MB)

unlikely to be the problem you're seeing here, but that seems like it maybe
a little tight for running redis+rspamd.