On Fri, May 06, 2022 at 08:13:42AM -0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2022-05-06, Theo Buehler <t...@theobuehler.org> wrote:
> > While we could readily make libssl fall back to the legacy stack if
> > SSL_OP_NO_TICKET is disabled, I don't think this optimization outweighs
> > the overall benefit of TLSv1.3 - better protocol, cleaner code.
>
> Especially when the major beneficiary of this is pkg_add when it
> searches for updates; the number of connections has been *hugely*
> reduced with the caching added recently.

I haven't enforced it, but https for pkg_add  makes zero sense
anyway: you don't gain any confidentiality, and the integrity of
the package is ensured by the signatures.

Note that https for base release makes little sense as well, apart
from the initial installs. Updates will also rely on signatures,
so all you gain from https is... exercising tls, and noticing
connections are slower.

(also: authentication is slow for old time architectures).

I'm still wondering what's the point of https for all this.