This is definitely an unveil issue. Not an issue though, it's by design. If you try to download a file both Firefox and Chromium won't know where to save it. By default, they can read/write to ~/Downloads like others have said. However, I think I know the issue you are encountering. I recall at first use it is a bit persnickety, so when presented with the window so save a file to a location you will see nothing. However, in the top bar if you type ~/Downloads and hit enter it will draw you immediately to the Downloads folder, and there you can hit save.

Also as others have said, Midori and Thunderbird don't have this issue because neither of them use unveil. It would be really cool if one day at least Thunderbird did.

Courtney