On 2022-07-28, Chris Bennett <cpb_m...@bennettconstruction.us> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 08:13:46AM -0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>> Either use -d, or set CVSROOT, or replace CVS/Root files with ones
>> containing the path to the repo (cvschroot from the cvsutils package
>> makes this easy). If your original checkout had been done via anoncvs
>> you wouldn't have needed to do this. (Also ports.tar.gz misses some
>> files - run "cvs up -Pd" across the whole tree to fetch them).
>>

> I already use a script to do cvs for ports.
> Right now, it downloads a copy of ports.tar.gz for "just in case cvs
> checkout fails".
>
> Which method would be preferable for the other end (the cvs server)?
>
> ports.tar.gz then cvs up
> or
> cvs checkout
>
> Either method is fine for me, but which method would be preferable?

Whichever works best for you ...

> I don't get ports.tar.gz from the same server as cvs.
>
> Does a checkout put less load on the cvs server than running a
> comparison with cvs up? Or is the increased data with checkout more
> important to eliminate?

I never use ports.tar.gz. Either do a cvs checkout directly from anoncvs, or
if I'm on a machine with a poor net connection or where I might be offline
and still want to access the repo I'll use reposync to get a local copy of
the full repo (done via rsync-over-anonymous-ssh) and point CVSROOT there.