On 2022-08-01, Kenneth Gober <kgo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 31, 2022 at 8:35 AM Tobias Fiebig <
> tob...@reads-this-mailinglist.com> wrote:
>
>> > You could periodically rsync it to permanent storage and use mount_mfs'
>> > -P option to populate at boot.
>> Really good point; I will give setting that up a try later today and add
>> that to the
>> blogpost.
>>

> In addition to a scheduled rsync job, don't forget to also put that same
> rsync command
> into /etc/rc.shutdown, so that a controlled reboot or shutdown will update
> persistent
> storage with the most up-to-date data.  The scheduled rsync commands will
> then just
> be there to ensure you don't lose too much in case of system lockup or
> other uncontrolled
> reboot/powerfail/etc.

I wouldn't bother with this, it's only a cache and the next rpki-client
run will update it anyway. Speaking from experience the extra delay for
reboot is extremely annoying.

The data file written by rpki-client and read by bgpd is in a different
directory so won't be affected by using MFS for /var/cache/rpki-client.

(To make reboots less annoying, it might be worth using noauto and
running the mount_mfs -P in the background from rc.local rather than
auto-mounting, but it will need some lock mechanism to avoid running
rpki-client-related cronjobs until it's done).