On Sat, Sep 10, 2022 at 09:04:54PM +0300, unix wrote:
> Hello. My reasons for this proposition:
> 1. The user will be able to test basic websites without installing
> anything.
> 2. The user will be able to read an incredibly useful official
> FAQ, with no external devices involved.
> 3. The user will be able to manage mailing list
> membership via the web interface.
> 4. Using ftp(1) and reading pure HTML is inconvenient.
> 5. The browser (Lynx) was already included. It was removed due to
> concerns about code quality, licensing, and support for insecure
> protocols.
> You could say that you don't need a browser installed by default if you
> have a network connection and can install the package anyway.
> Still, am I the only one who feels like it's pretty much the only thing
> missing in the base for a comfortable day to day desktop usage?
> So, if we include a browser, which one?
[...]
> If you know about any other options, I will be interested in
> discussing them.

I do not want to derail the discussion but I think that if I can have
a pendrive with O*BSD install, then I can also have another pendrive
with some sources and maybe a bash script to compile them. For
browsing on the text console, I like emacs-w3m, which (if I am
correct) is w3m for rendering pages and emacs for showing them, with
tabs and easy way to copy-paste fragments into other emacs buffer, be
it a code or shell.

I would probably also have lynx on this pendrive, because it can open
gopher sites, so I can vent off some steam by looking at obsolete
stuff.

I realize that certain propositions are no-no for base system (and I
totally agree with this), which is why my best option is to be my own
guest and help myself.

In my opinion none of text browsers I use nowadays (links/elinks, lynx
&& emacs-w3m) will work on every website (some are polite enough to
tell me I need to turn js on). There is good chance with pages written
for programmers, however.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola