Hi,

> since upgrading my router to 7.1 unbound doesn't start up automatically
> anymore,
> instead it times out:
>
> starting early daemons: syslogd pflogd unbound(timeout) ntpd.
>
> It can be started successfully manually later. This setup worked with 7.0.

I have a very similar configuration (apu2 acting as a firewall/router
for home network), with a similar unbound.conf (given below) which is
working fine as of 7.1-stable.  I recently switched from one ISP to another
and there was no problem (literally: unplug ethernet cable from $OLD_ISP
router, plug into $NEW_ISP router, reboot firewall).  My outside interface
has

--- begin /etc/hostname.em0 ---
inet autoconf
--- end /etc/hostname.em0 ---

Does the -d unbound flag give any useful output for you?  More generally,
how are you starting unbound, i.e., what (if any) flags are you passing in
/etc/rc.conf.local?  I have

--- begin /etc/rc.conf.local ---
dhcpd_flags="em1 em2 em3"
unbound_flags=""
dhcpleased_flags=
--- end /etc/rc.conf.local ---

Here is my unbound.conf
--- begin /var/unbound/etc/unbound.conf ---
# $OpenBSD: unbound.conf,v 1.21 2020/10/28 11:35:58 sthen Exp $

server:
        interface: 127.0.0.1
        interface: em1                                  # wired
        interface: em2                                  # wifi
        interface: em3                                  # voip
        #interface: 127.0.0.1@5353      # listen on alternative port
        #interface: ::1
        do-ip6: no
        prefer-ip4: yes

        # override the default "any" address to send queries; if multiple
        # addresses are available, they are used randomly to counter spoofing
        #outgoing-interface: 192.0.2.1
        #outgoing-interface: 2001:db8::53

        access-control: 0.0.0.0/0 refuse
        access-control: 127.0.0.0/8 allow
        access-control: ::0/0 refuse
        access-control: ::1 allow
        access-control: 192.168.155.0/24 allow          # any internal address

        private-address: 192.168.0.0/16         # block DNS rebinding attacks
                                                # where local browser becomes
                                                # a trojen

        hide-identity: yes
        hide-version: yes

        # Perform DNSSEC validation.
        #
        root-hints:             "/var/unbound/etc/root.hints"
        auto-trust-anchor-file: "/var/unbound/db/root.key"
        qname-minimisation:     yes
        #val-log-level: 2

        # Synthesize NXDOMAINs from DNSSEC NSEC chains.
        # https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8198
        #
        #aggressive-nsec: yes

        # Serve zones authoritatively from Unbound to resolver clients.
        # Not for external service.
        #
        #local-zone: "local." static
        #local-data: "mycomputer.local. IN A 192.0.2.51"
        #local-zone: "2.0.192.in-addr.arpa." static
        #local-data-ptr: "192.0.2.51 mycomputer.local"

        # Use TCP for "forward-zone" requests. Useful if you are making
        # DNS requests over an SSH port forwarding.
        #
        #tcp-upstream: yes

        # CA Certificates used for forward-tls-upstream (RFC7858) hostname
        # verification.  Since it's outside the chroot it is only loaded at
        # startup and thus cannot be changed via a reload.
        tls-cert-bundle: "/etc/ssl/cert.pem"

remote-control:
        control-enable: yes
        control-interface: /var/run/unbound.sock

# Use an upstream forwarder (recursive resolver) for some or all zones.
#
forward-zone:
        name: "."                               # use for ALL queries
        ##forward-addr: 192.168.1.254           # Telus router
        # next non-comment line configures Cloudflare DNS-over-TLS
        # ... hostname after the '#' is not a comment, it is used for TLS checks
        forward-addr: 1.1.1.1@853#cloudflare-dns.com
        forward-tls-upstream: yes
        forward-first: no                       # don't fallback to insecure DNS
--- end /var/unbound/etc/unbound.conf ---

ciao,
--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -color to reply]" <dr.j.thornb...@gmail-pink.com>
   on the west coast of Canada