> On Dec 3, 2022, at 09:06, Stuart Henderson <stu.li...@spacehopper.org> wrote:
> AFAIK the main options available at that point are:
>
> deadlocks waiting for resources
> detect the problem and randomly kill processes (e.g. linux oom killer)
> detect the problem and panic

I recall a long time ago reading on LKML that if the oom-killer is triggered,
the recommendation is to reboot as soon as possible.  Many people don’t even
know it runs until they can’t figure out why some random daemon is not running.

> (in particular a lot
> of software really doesn't behave well when malloc fails)

Thank you Linux for giving us the guaranteed success of malloc(). . .

I hate overcommit.  I get why it’s there, but that doesn’t mean I can’t hate it.

Sean