On Tue, 03 Jan 2023 07:40:21 +0100
"Bodie" <bo...@bodie.cz> wrote:

> On Mon Jan 2, 2023 at 8:53 PM CET, Rob Schmersel wrote:
> > On Mon, 2 Jan 2023 13:44:30 +0100
> > Tomaž Kokolj <tomaz.kok...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > I've requested a static IP from my ISP a long time ago and I
> > > figured out that my ISP binds my IP based on a MAC address which
> > > is connected to my WAN port.
> > >
> > > I was thinking about switching from Debian Linux to OpenBSD on my
> > > router, but I can't figure out how to change my MAC address.
> > >
> > > I've tried the the following configurations for my
> > > /etc/hostname.em0 (I'm testing this in VirtualBox):
> > > #
> > > inet autoconf lladdr 00:11:22:33:44:55
> > > #
> > >
> > > #
> > > lladdr 00:11:22:33:44:55
> > > inet autoconf
> > > #
> > >
> > > #
> > > inet autoconf
> > > lladdr 00:11:22:33:44:55
> > > #
> > > In all of those configurations, my lladdr gets changed to
> > > 00:11:22:33:44:55 but the inet line is missing from ifconfig which
> > > means that my network isn't working.
> > >
> > > I have found this old (2012) blog post:
> > > https://andrewmemory.wordpress.com/2012/12/06/changing-mac-address-on-openbsd/
> > >
> > > Which suggested:
> > > "Linux has /etc/network/interfaces, and OpenBSD has
> > > /etc/hostname.if. I just changed my /etc/hostname.vr1 to:
> > >
> > > dhcp lladdr 00:11:22:33:44:55
> > >
> > > and I was requesting an IP address using my new MAC address"
> > >
> > > If I do that my inet line is present and my network/internet is
> > > working, but my lladdr line isn't changed.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Tomaz
> >
> > My ISPs (one at the house, one at my son's apartment) have the same
> > setup and I'm using this in /etc/hostname.em0
> > > lladdr 00:11:22:33:44:55
> > > inet autoconf
> >
> > This will give the correct IP address in both cases.
> >
> > Good luck
>
> Which is interesting that it works as man page talks about this
> format:
>
> IPv4 dynamic addressing via DHCP is requested using "inet autoconf"
> inet autoconf [ifconfig_options]

The ISP has not really set a static ip, but uses dhcp server to set a
fixed IP address based on your MAC address. You can configure such in
dhcpd.conf with something like the following:

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        option routers 192.168.1.1;
        range 192.168.1.24 192.168.1.200;
        # Network
        # example host