On 1/6/23 18:40, Alexandre Ratchov wrote:
On Fri, Jan 06, 2023 at 10:18:37AM +0100, Brian Durant wrote:
Hi,
Completely lost as to the cause for the error. I have read the relevant man
pages as well as searching the mail archive.

System info:
OpenBSD 7.2 amd64, GNOME 42.5, Huawei MateStation S with AMD Ryzen 5 4600G
and Radeon Graphics.

Error messages:
$ midicat -d -q midi/0 -q midithru/0
midi/0: couldn't open port
$ midicat -d -q midi/1 -q midithru/0
midi/1: couldn't open port

according to your dmesg (other mail), you don't any MIDI ports on your
machine.

Relevant output:
$ dmesg ...
uaudio0: sync play xfer, err = 6
uaudio0: sync play xfer, err = 6
uaudio0: sync play xfer, err = 6
ugen2 at uhub2 port 2 "Roland A-PRO" rev 1.10/1.20 addr 3

Do you know if this is class-compliant (aka "driverless")? OpenBSD
supports only class-compliant MIDI devices.

Interesting question. I know that it works with various Linux distributions, which to my understanding also work with class compliant devices as a point of reference. However, the Roland A-800 Pro also has an "ACT" mode which requires a Windows driver if used. I have never used it in "ACT" mode and never needed a special driver.

Unfortunately, I will probably have to assume that OpenBSD at least, doesn't consider this device class compliant. A pity as it is difficult to find MIDI keyboards with better than average keys...

Not all old devices are class-compliant because in the 2000's, Windows
used to have a bug that hardware designers tried to
workaround. Certain devices from the 2000's have a switch (or
configuration parameter) to switch between vendor-specific and
class-compliant modes. Try to dig in the manual. If you can't switch
the device to class-compliant mode, get a USB-MIDI interface, they are
cheap nowadays and just work.

$ cat /etc/rc.conf.local
pkg_scripts=avahi_daemon messagebus gdm cups_browsed
sndiod_flags=-z 128 -f rsnd/1

$ cat /etc/sysctl.conf
kern.audio.record=1

sndiod flags are for reduced latency and for audio to work properly on my
Huawei MateStation.

seems correct

Thanks for your time.