On 1/20/23, David Gwynne <da...@gwynne.id.au> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 11:09:47AM -0800, patrick keshishian wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying get a new ISP setup working.  The Router is
>> causing some pain.  There is a /28 public block assigned.
>> The DSL router can't be configured in transparent bridge
>> mode (they say).  It holds on to one of the /28 addresses.
>
> i'm sure they say that, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. this
> will be a lot easier and more useful if you can get a dsl modem
> into bridge/transparent mode and do all the routing on your own
> box.

OK. So the situation was a bit worse than I had actually
anticipated.  After I got the described setup configured
I noticed that the DSL Router/Modem wouldn't send out
any traffic unless it had an arp entry for the source.
e.g., nat-to an unassigned IP from the /28 wouldn't go out.

Again, in my limited networking knowledge, it meant I had
to do proxy arp entries for /28 public IPs in the $dmz.
This was quite frustrating.

So I started poking around in the DSL Router/modem settings
(cuing off your "doesn't mean it's impossible") and I
have it now acting as a transparent bridge!

I spent most of Tues on the phone with their techs, and I
was assured that is not possible/unsupported.  Now maybe
they actually meant "unsupported" mode as far as their
support is concerned.

But things seem to running as expect (so far)!  So thanks
for the bit of "encouragement"!

> that would also give you the option to do fun stuff like NOT putting
> the /28 onto an ethernet network so you could you use all 16 of the
> IPs on dmz hosts instead of losing some to network/broadcast/gateway.

I am curious how you would go about doing what you suggest:
Using all 16 of /28.

Thanks for your reply,
--patrick