On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 03:05:49 +0100 Chris Alatakis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Adam wrote:
> >> Php in CGI mode makes no sense. Php is beloved of his speed against
> >> perl for example which is a powerful alternative.
> >> We are not going to discuss this here at misc Perl vs PHP so leave
> >> with it or change to perl. Php CGI is buggy slow and has many
> >> problems to accomplish some tasks thats trivial otherwise.
> >>

> > This is of course complete nonsense.  PHP may be beloved by some
> > people, but it has nothing to do with speed.  Running PHP as a CGI
> > is simple and has no buggy problems or anything else.  Its just like
> > running perl as a CGI instead of using mod_perl, or python as a CGI
> > instead of mod_python.
> >
> I have tried it and php as module is sunificaly faster than as cgi.
> And second is even faster if it compiled direct into apache and not
> as module.

Of course it is slow as a CGI.  What does that have to do with
anything?  Perl is slow as a CGI too, that's what mod_perl is for.
None of that is relevant though, he wanted to know how to use PHP as a
CGI, not wether you think its fast enough for him or not without even
knowing what he's doing.

> There is no /usr/local/bin/php executable in default chrooted openbsd
> php install or I m blind?
> If you are speaking of moving this to /var/www /usr/local/bin/php
> that was the whole point security.

Yes, there is a /usr/local/bin/php executable when you install the PHP
package.  Of course you have to either move it into the chroot (along
with any dependancies) or disable chroot.  Same as with running CGIs
of any other interpreted language.  And he wasn't asking about security,
he was asking about running PHP without users being able to read each
others database username/passwords.  Some times you have to trade away
some security to actually accomplish something. You could be more
secure by removing your network connections, but its not very helpful
if you want network access.

> Anyway I use php many years in a production enviroment as apache
> module. Have tried the CGI thing my opinion is just that is a second
> option for apache and I see no reason to do it in openbsd.

And because you don't see the obvious use for something, that means
there is no use?

> Do not cc me I hate that.
> -Chris

Do not tell me not to cc you I hate that.

Adam