> I have two devices around here. Let's call one devA and one devB.
> devB is my main OpenBSD workstation devA is some kind of gaming device
> which has a normal 2 channel audio jack. I want to connect the line out
> connector of devA to the line-in of devB and listen to both devices
> with my headphone amplifier connected to out/spdif of devB.

Why do you want that? I mean, what are the two simultaneous things
you want to listen to, one comming from your game console and one
from your workstation?

> In analog mode this works beside the poor quality of the mainboard
> which seems to generate a lot of noise.

That's not poor quality of the mainboard,
that's an electronic device suffering a _lot_
of interference from the electronics jungle around it.

> When switching to SPDIF the noise is gone

Yes: the digital signal does not suffer from the analog noise.

Does you headphone amplifier take the spdif output of your workstation?
(What headphone amplifier is that?)

> but the line-in output is gone too.

Meaning, you still hear the sounds that your workstation produces,
but not the sound your gaming console sends to your line-in?

> I switched to SPDIF with the following mixerctl(8) command
> `mixerctl -t outputs.mode=digital`
>
> I tried to set the "SPDIF_source" to something different but mixerctl
> states "Bad enum value ...". Is there any chance to mix the line-in
> with the default output like I did in analog mode? What am I missing
> here? In azalia(4) the outputs.mode and record.mode can both be set to
> analog or digital

I see no record.mode in the mixerctl settings.

> as far as I unterstand line-in should be record?

Your mixerctl says it's an input.

> mixerctl -a

mixerctl -av might be more telling.

        Jan