Hello,

j...@carnat.net (Joel Carnat), 2023.03.10 (Fri) 02:31 (CET):
> I just tried applying gzip compression on a simple test web site using httpd
> and the gzip-static option ; using OpenBSD 7.2/amd64.
>
> As I understood the man page, gzip-static is supposed to be used inside the
> server block ; like listen, errdocs or tls. But doing so does not seem to
> enable gzip compression for files defined in a location block.

You have to provide the .gz file manually.
httpd(8) does not create the gzip file content on the fly.

This thread:

        https://marc.info/?t=163603231000004

from when the feature was added, starts with the OP saying:

        In other words, if a client support gzip compression, when
        "file" is requested, httpd will check if "file.gz" is avaiable
        to serve.

Also, from httpd.conf(5):

        Enable static gzip compression to save bandwidth.
        If gzip encoding is accepted and if the requested file exists
        with an additional .gz suffix, use the compressed file instead
        and deliver it with content encoding gzip.

Marcus