------- Original Message -------
On Friday, April 14th, 2023 at 7:14 AM, Janne Johansson <icepic...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Not impossible to have switches(*) that dislike/filter/bug on
> multicast too I guess, so I would suggest rigging the carps up (at
> least temporary) with carppeer against the "real" ip of the remote
> ext_if to make carp use normal unicast ip for sync and just see if it
> helps. If it does, it is related to the boxes ability to talk
> multicast and you would have to either stick with carppeer setup, or
> "fix" the multicast issue, which can be hard to pin down where exactly
> it is.

Thank you Janne for pointing out the switch. I would have never thought about
that. So indeed, I just upgraded my Cisco Catalyst 2960L switch the latest IOS
version of 2022 and now the 2nd firewall correctly reports backup as status. I
was running an IOS version from 2018. Strangely enough both firewalls are
connected to that switch with both carp0 to the public VLAN and both carp1 to
the private VLAN so I would have expected the same odd double master status on
both carp interfaces and not just on carp0. But anyway it works now.