On 2023-05-17 18:02 UTC, l...@fuji.kuistio.me wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a desktop machine I recently installed OpenBSD 7.3 on. Everything
> seems to be working fine except that it doesn't obtain a DHCP lease when
> waking up from suspend. I haven't found any docs saying if it even should
> do this. However, I also have a laptop running 7.3 and it does automatically
> connect to a network when waking up from suspend. So I'm a bit confused
> about why this works on the laptop but not on the desktop.
>
> On both machines I have created a hostname.if file under /etc. The desktop
> machine does obtain a dhcp lease after the system has booted up, but it
> doesn't do this after waking up from suspend as explained earlier. The
> laptop is using wifi and the desktop is using a usb-ethernet adapter.

The USB Ethernet adapter gets disconnected from the USB bus on suspend
and re-discovered on resume. ifconfig will show that it does not have
the autoconf flag set nor does it have any IPv4 addresses configured.

Effectively it becomes a new device on resume.

I'm not aware of any way to fix / work around this. Calling netstart(8)
from apm probably races against the kernel and the USB adapter might not
be there yet when it runs.

--
In my defence, I have been left unsupervised.