I’ll answer both of your replies here. But please note that Stuart provided the
feedback I needed so from my point of view this issue is closed.

> Am 10.07.2023 um 14:30 schrieb Daniele B. <my2...@has.im>:
>
> However, I passed a small amount of time with 5.6 and 7.3 from source loading
> together.
> In both cases I was using init.d scritps, that I can pass you.

init.d is not an OpenBSD thing. And my issue is not running multiple versions
of PHP but configuring things so they don’t break when updates are installed.

> Take it AS-IS, I do not want to recommend BSD subsystems or show off something
> that is not part of my baggage. Indeed, for any system suggestion there is a
> big truppen here,
> not certenly myself.

Not sure I understand your English here. But my question was posted on an
OpenBSD mailing list, so solutions for other OSes are not really helpful.

> Jul 10, 2023 13:57:15 Daniele B. <my2...@has.im>:
>
>> Problem arising in reading you is at its origins, in plain italian "a
>> monte".. ;)

I don’t speak Italian. So I don’t get your comment.

But if you are implying that maybe I should not be using OpenBSD because of a
specific issue with php-fpm and the rc(8) mechanism, I don’t agree.

>> - PHP 8 is enough retrocompatible with any version you mention, and should
>> take in a
>>  certain amount of benefits in performance gain and bug fixing;

So will you fix all of the (3rd party) code that may have issues for me? Theory
and dogmatic concepts are fine. But there is also real life™. And there are
other reasons for wanting to use older versions of PHP as well. For example
compatibility testing.

That said, sure PHP 8.2 is great for new projects. And I am using it where it
makes sense.

>> - PHP-FPM should be enough configurable and versatile to support huge amount
>> of requests;

Not relevant to the issue. A PHP-FPM process can only handle one version of
PHP. My issue is with maintaining multiple PHP-FPM versions as stated in the
subject.

>> - multi webservers could be nice to have probably for some sorts of load
>> balancing only,
>>  (having a reversed proxy is something often questionable);

Just because you can’t think of a reason to use multiple web servers, that does
not mean others can’t have valid reasons. And I fail to see what would be
gained by using a reverse proxy to somehow mitigate the imagined reasons for
your premise. It only adds complexity and has its own issues. And this is
completely irrelevant to my issue.

>> - multi webservers are surely a huge angle hole in your "resource room".

but your version of English is often littered with what seem to be phrases and
literal translations from your native language that make no sense in English.
So whatever you think multiple web servers surly are, it is not relevant to my
issue (see subject of this email).

>> I do not know, are you maybe building your machine for testing purpose?

Yes I do have legitmate reasons for wanting to run multiple versions of PHP in
parallel. Testing is one reason. Compatibility is another. Not that it matters
for the issue at hand.

None of your comments address the issue I am having. On-topic comments to the
list are generally welcome. But in this case I think Stuart has already
provided the feedback I needed.

Mike