On 2023-07-08 05:22, Alexandre Ratchov wrote:
On Fri, Jul 07, 2023 at 06:23:26PM -0400, Ricky Cintron wrote:
I recently resolved an audio issue where I could hear a constant, light static noise in my earphones. It wasn't loud or distracting, but it was always there. The solution was to remove 'mix' as a source for mix2 and
mix3.

However, once I got rid of that static, I noticed some additional noise
that was apparently hidden behind the original static. Compared to the
first issue, this noise is quieter and not constant. Anyway, it
manifests itself in the following ways:

1) Very light static noise that never increases, but I've noticed that
when I load a web page (YouTube, for example), the noise is silenced
until the page finishes loading. This also sometimes happens when I
move the mouse cursor around the web browser window, but very briefly.
It's easier to notice when loading a page since it lasts longer.

2) Moving the mouse generates a barely audible buzzing sound, but this
either doesn't occur or is barely noticeable when moving the cursor on
a web browser window.

To troubleshoot, I inspected all the cables in the back of the
computer (power, DP, ethernet, USB keyboard, USB mouse, speakers/line),
and unplugged them (except the power cable) one at a time. I didn't
hear a difference, good or bad. I also turned some mixerctl knobs with
no noticeable effects.

Does anyone have any ideas? This isn't a big deal since I can't notice
it while listening to audio, and it's pretty easy to tune out even
without audio, but I'd still like to remove it if possible. I'm
considering buying a USB audio interface, so if that even works, that
could be a solution.

Check that your AC power plug is connected to the ground. Possibly
plug the computer in another plug, in another room, and see if this
makes any difference.

FWIW, I managed to reduce similar noises by putting ferrite rings on
most cables, the HDMI cable was a significant source of noise in my
case. I didn't try to put ferrite rings on the internal cables
(ex. those between the power supply and the motherboard), but it might
make sense as well.

Certain motherboards are just not well designed and noise might
remain, no matter what you do. A good audio interface would solve this
problem, assuming you're using speakers that don't generate noise or
passive headphones.

HTH

I'm definitely going to try different outlets later on, along with a
few other tests dealing with the power delivery. Fortunately the
noise is light so I can wait until a better time to disconnect and
move things around.

In your case, were the noises loud and audible through speakers?
Also, how did you determine which cables needed ferrite rings?