On Sat, Jul 15, 2023, at 5:38 PM, Julian Huhn wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 15, 2023 at 06:05:06PM +0000, Mike Larkin wrote:
>>On Sat, Jul 15, 2023 at 04:34:20PM +0200, Julian Huhn wrote:
>>> Since I got many DMARC rejection mails and therefore don't know how many
>>> people this mail reached at all, once again with less restrictive DMARC
>>> settings.

>>This is a stuck GPE. This board in particular is a known issue; search
>>the lists.
>>
>>mbuhl@ suggested a few months back that I get one of these machines to fix
>>the issue, but when I started looking at it, the simplest fix was to just
>>install a new bios.  Since this is likely one of these super cheap 4 port
>>igc(4) aliexpress "firewall PCs", you may need to search a bit to find a
>>compatible bios since most of these don't have a real brand site associated
>>with them.
>>
>>FWIW, the machines with "techvision" bios (like yours) exhibit this issue.
>>Mine had techvision bios (and the same problem) before I flashed it to the
>>image described below.
>>
>>You need to find this bios:
>>
>>bios0: vendor American Megatrends International, LLC. version "JK4LV107" date
>>04/17/2023
>
> I just found this Reddit Post [0], describing a related issue with this
> kind of board. There's also a download link [1] in the comments for the
> bios update. As soon as I found some time I will install the update.
> Thanks!
>
>>That one works on my machine, with exactly the same config as yours. No
>>more ACPI GPE storm.
>>
>>I don't have the link anymore for where I found the BIOS image, but I
>>think it was on servethehome in one of the long threads about these
>>machines. You need to do some digging.
>>
>>While the root cause may be due to us lacking some driver for the device
>>owning that GPE, or our lack of activating GPEs based on attached
>>hardware, the 5-minute bios update fix was a good enough fix for me and
>>I moved on to other things.
>>
>>The other lesson I learned is that you get what you pay for; buying $100
>>PCs from aliexpress means you're just going to be paying for it somewhere
>>else. In this case, dealing with shoddy engineering and unsupported boards.
>>
>>-ml
>>

> [0]
> https://www.reddit.com/r/PFSENSE/comments/14vv90w/topton_5105_n6005_owners_any_issues_running_on/
> [1]
> https://pan.x86pi.cn/BIOS%E6%9B%B4%E6%96%B0/1.Intel%E8%BF%B7%E4%BD%A0%E4%B8%BB%E6%9C%BA%E7%B3%BB%E5%88%97BIOS/N5105%20V3-V5%20%E5%BE%AE%E7%A0%81%E6%9B%B4%E6%96%B023-04-18

I can confirm that the linked BIOS update resolves the stuck GPE on my board. I
ended up using unetbootin to get the ISO in a state that my board was willing
to boot and flash.

I appear to have lost the ability to redirect the BIOS via serial console with
this update, but as noted, you get what you pay for.

Thanks all.

Brian