------- Original Message -------
On Tuesday, July 18th, 2023 at 10:59 PM, Stuart Henderson
<stu.li...@spacehopper.org> wrote:

> PF's state-tracking options are only for TCP. (Blocking an IP
> based on number of connections from easily spoofed UDP is a good
> way to let third parties prevent your machine from communicating
> with IPs that may well get in the way i.e. trigger a "self DoS").

What a pitty, these kind of rate limiting options for UDP would have  been
quite useful.

> You may be interested in looking into L7 methods of mitigating
> problems from high rates of DNS queries - for example dnsdist
> allows a lot of flexibility in this area.

Thanks for the hint about dnsdist, it looks powerful. Still whenever possible I
would rather avoid having an extra piece of software and instead have that
traffic controlled more upstream so ideally on the firewall directly.