On 11/19/23 18:09, Shadrock Uhuru wrote:
hi all
a couple question about my fde
first, i have fde setup using a keydisk on my laptop, encryption and
decryption works fine
when i reboot with the key inserted it doesn't find the key,
i have to shut the machine down and restart it then the key is detected,
is this normally how a reboot works with fde and keydisk ?

second when i boot the laptop it tries to boot from the wrong disk,
it tries to boot off hd0 whereby at the boot prompt i then have to type
boot sd0a:/bsd which then proceeds to a normal boot,
do i just run
/usr/mdec/installboot -v /boot /usr/mdec/biosboot sd0
to fix this ?

You have provided a whole lot of no-information here.  dmesg, disk
layout and boot mode would be nice starting points.  "hd0"?  What is
that in your machine?

Both issues sound like a firmware issue.  Boot device is usually
controllable in BIOS/firmware setup -- once the OpenBSD boot loader
is running, it is too late to determine what you boot from.  USB
storage not being found under some boot conditions and being seen
on others, sounds like a firmware bug.  Almost certainly, in fact,
as OpenBSD itself isn't loaded and running, it's just the boot
code talking to the firmware or BIOS.

Many modern-ish computers support both UEFI and BIOS booting.  They
often have different bugs in different modes.  I have a couple machines
here that were sold running embedded Linux with a warning "must use
BIOS mode" in the firmware for their original application...but OpenBSD
only can see storage in EFI mode.

Also look for firmware updates to your system.  I'd suggest starting
with reloading in the opposite boot mode first, because if a new BIOS
introduces new bugs, it is sometimes difficult to revert.  And yes,
you will have to reinstall to switch boot modes (technically, no, but
if you have to ask, yes).

Nick.