On 3/21/06, Hutger H. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've been looking for a consolidated IDS solution that I can deploy in
> my network. Snort is really a good option but currently it seems that
> they are charging for updates, it that true? I'd like to find out a free
> of charge Linux, or BSD, solution that can works as good as snort works
> and, rather with some successful deployment cases.
>
> Any ideas?

Well as far as charging for updates goes, that's only for rulesets I
believe. Basically, the rules that you get with the snort tar ball are
all you get, if you want updates to them you gotta pay. But later
versions of snort are free, so upgrading from 2.4.3 to 2.4.4 is free,
just not the extra snort rules. And even then, only the SourceFire VRT
Certified Rules cost money (for subscriptions and redistribution
rights I believe), a community driven rule group is still free,
however they don't "Guarentee" the rules. If I were you, I'd stick
with snort, you'll be hard pressed to find a free NIDS that is as
robust, and I speak from experience, as I've setup some pretty damn
large and complex snort deployments for my work in the past.

Jason