Thanks for the reply, Chris.

I found interesting this intervention of Laurence
because (as you know I'm on usb storage devices from an age
and..) in front of an hang problem of the usb
peripherals Laurence pointed out about the different performances
on the usb stack can be a reasonable cause of the hanging.

I was curious to gain technical confirmations
about this possibility, to keep usb peripherals separated
from storage devices, that time to time I did it but let say
I havent it adopted like my standard yet.

I can take also a fresh example. This night I was passing by an old
Puppy Linux where in the end for an inappropriate 'autoadddevice' set to true
in its
xorg.conf all my usb peripherals hanged sometimes not repponding
neither after a reboot.

For who is working in this kind of fashion like mine
usb separation (hub = physically and in memory addresses )
could be reasonably suggestable to have, question ( ? )

-Dan

Chris Bennett <cpb_m...@bennettconstruction.us>:

> On Fri, Mar 15, 2024 at 01:40:56PM +0100, Dan via misc wrote:
>>
>> Interesting..
>>
>> Laurence Tratt via misc <misc@openbsd.org>:
>>
>>> This sounds to me like it might be due to USB stack performance problems,
>>> though you'll at least want to give `dmesg` output so that those who better
>>> understand this have a chance of helping.
>>>
>>> FWIW, there seem to be notable differences in USB performance on nominally
>>> similar hardware with OpenBSD.
>>
>> Do you suggest to phisically (hub) separate peripherals from
>> eg. storage devices for who is working in this kind of fashion?
>>
>> -Dan
>>

> I used a powered USB hub on a laptop that somehow solved a bunch of
> connectivity problems to the laptop's USB3 port.
> I needed a powered hub to run both the wifi dongle and a spinning USB
> hard drive. No idea why it worked, but it did.

NB: keep Orwell with you, we are fine.