On 2024-03-24 10:51:51, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2024-03-24, Sadeep Madurange <sad...@asciimx.com> wrote:
> > On 2024-03-24 09:43:07, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> >> Any particular reason to not just run esptool on OpenBSD? It's in
> >> packages..
> >
> > Unfortunately, the esptool in the packages is for programming ESPs
> > using the Arduino platform. My existing projects for these chips are
> > written in plain C with their native toolchain. Also, I prefer to
> > continue using C if possible.
>
> There are some versions in arduino-related packages, but I was
> thinking of the normal one:
>
> $ pkglocate bin/esptool
> py3-esptool-4.6.2:devel/py-esptool,python3:/usr/local/bin/esptool.py

esptool is for flashing programs to ESPs. To build them we need the
ESP-IDF, which bootstraps the compiler toolchain, freeRTOS, network
stack, etc., So, the esptool.py alone isn't enough.

A version of the toolchain is also in the ports tree, but it's more for
Arduino environment. The version is too old to compile the SDK version I
need. I'm trying to build ESP-IDF on OpenBSD, but I haven't managed to
get it working yet.

--
Sadeep Madurange
PGP: 103BF9E3E750BF7E