On 3/23/06, Fergus Wilde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thursday 23 March 2006 14:09, frantisek holop wrote:
> > just before i order my 3.9:
> >
> > this is what i feel sometimes, and i think sometimes more of you do.
> >

> > people who read misc@ for years might identify the following
> > (for me disturbing) trend:
> >

> > twice a year (or maybe more) when it comes to money issues, Theo and
> > the devs ask for donations, cd purchases. at the same time, people
> > are every once in a while reminded how "lucky" they are to use what
> > the devs create solely "for themselves".  this brainwashing is so
> > effective even some other advocators are using it now, defending
> > the poor helpless devs.
> >

> > unfortunately there is no real community around openbsd. at least
> > i dont see one -- one where there are people without cvs commit.
> > if you don't have cvs commit, you are a nobody that's what misc@
> > will teach any newcomer using iron and fire. i try to be part
> > of a community but the devs say you are nobody and should be glad
> > that you can use this stuff.
>
> Well I've been lurking here a long time, and feel I have had massive
> return
> for the odd purchase and donation. I don't see any hypocrisy whatever in
> the
> development process, rather I thank my lucky stars that OBSD has a strong
> purpose and direction. I don't think it's a problem that people are told
> they
> can't expect to get features put into or changed
> >

> > except when it comes to money.  well, well.
> >
> > then suddenly we ARE a community, we are NEEDED and should feel as one,
> > so we can join powers and walk off into the setting sun.
> >

> > it is this hypocracy i hate the most (just as much as Theo does too
> > -- that is why i love openbsd). if the project needs my money,
> > i'd like to see a different stance from Theo and the devs and
> > not the default "go run something else idiot, we don't need you."
> >

> > because you obviously need my at least twice a year.
> >

> > you Theo, have the luxury only few have: work full time on what
> > you like the most.  you don't have to go to meetings and live
> > the corporate rat's life or some such non-sense.
> >
> > WE make it possible for YOU Theo to do this.
> > so don't tell me i am lucky to use openbsd.
> >

> > having said that, i am going to order 3.9 just as i have been ordering
> > releases every 6 month since i started making money.
> >
> > -f
>
> --
> Fergus Wilde
> Chetham's Library
> Long Millgate
> Manchester
> M3 1SB
>
> Tel: 0161 834 7961
> Fax: 0161 839 5797
>
> http://www.chethams.org.uk

Hello, I've been using OpenBSD for about a year now and lurking the mailing
list and sometimes posting.

Got yelled and appreciated it as it helped me understand that I have to do
some work and not expect a silver platter answer.

I think it is great that the devs are blogging what they are doing on
undeadly.

Also, how many times with other companies does the head dev and founder
answer a nobodies e-mail? : )

rogern

John 3:16