Stefan Moran <s...@howdoesmycode.work> writes:

> dump(8) and restore(8) also worth mentioning; I'm particularly fond of
> restore(8)'s interactive mode that lets you cherrypick what you want to
> import.

I agree. My backups are mostly dump(8) and rsync(1). Out of habit, I've
used cpio(1) in copy mode (-p) for copying file trees for a long
time.

I'm going to try using pax(1) in copy mode (-rw) as an alternative to
rsync and cpio when it's local filesystems. I hadn't considered that
until recently.

Usually, I use dump in single user mode for backups that will be used in
disaster recovery. I tend to use rsync in archive mode (-a) for "live"
backups of running systems. This is mostly a convenience so I can copy
back a file that went missing for some reason.

This is all with the caveat that I can take downtime, and I'm willing to
replace a system, and restore it's services without having a hard
recovery time hanging over my head. Not everyone has the option.