On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 11:52:27AM +0100, Craig Skinner wrote:
> Luca Losio wrote:
> >>My ADSL connection is PPPoA only, which is just PPPoE with ATM. They
> >>work at different layers so if you bridge your adsl modem and handle
> >>only the ATM part, then openbsd pppoe can do the rest. So this means
> >>your ADSL modem will have no public facing IP and reconnecting to it may
> >>be tricky once you have set it up. So be careful how you set it up.
> >

> >Can you please post your ppp configuration file?
> >So on the Dlink modem all you just did was to set it on bridge mode.
> >Why it shouldn't work with the 1-port version? I have this (300t) :-(
> >but I upgraded the firmware....
> >

> Please review this as you have already been given the answer:
>
> http://archive.netbsd.se/?ml=openbsd-misc&a=2006-03&m=1864140
>
> This thread is closed.

That depends on if Luca really wants to do that. Then again he may not.
I think we should let him decide if this thread is closed.

> <snip>

> These routers are designed to be no brainers for windows users, yet
> there are no windows drivers, therefore it uses conventional networking.

Personally I didn't want a point and drool interface, I wanted more
control of my connection.

> The router does PPPoA, this is a superior technology as the PPP session
> sits directly on top of the telco's ATM system. PPPoE is PPP over
> ethernet, over ATM: an extra layer that is not needed.

Read RFC 1661, RFC 2516 and RFC 2364 iirc.

PPP, ethernet and ATM are all layer 2 of the OSI Seven Layer model.  IP
is in layer 3. ATM and ethernet are data links which tunnel the PPP
data.  PPP does the authenication and various other thing just like with
dial up modems.

It's not a case of tunneled PPP in ethernet in ATM. The ADSL modem
deals with changing the wrapper to tunnel PPP from ethernet to ATM. ATM
deal with getting the PPP data from my ADSL modem to the DSLAMs at the
exchange. Ethernet deals with getting the PPP data from my OpenBSD box
to my ADSL modem. I seriously doubt my exchange would understand me
firing ethernet data at it or maybe I'm wasting bytes in my segments in
unnecessary overheads.

I'll admit this is not a normal setup but as far as I know OpenBSD
doesn't have PPPoA support directly in the kernel, and I can't see why
it would since most ADSL PCI cards are primaryly driven by software
usually in the form of BLOBs. Maybe you fancy reverse engineering some
of these cards and get them working in OpenBSD.

Dan