On Sun, Oct 04, 2026 at 07:31:09PM +0000, Joel Jucá wrote:
> Hello, OpenBSD community.
>
> My very first msg to the misc mailing list here. :) If I drop some ball on 
> virtual etiquette or smt, please let me know.
>
> I'm researching about OpenBSD and its capabilities for 
> sandboxing/virtualization/isolation of processes, etc., in order to turn an 
> OpenBSD box (a computer with OpenBSD as OS) into a multi-tenant home for 
> multiple isolated, ephemeral environments to be used by AI agents.
>
> By AI agents, think an edge program that's connected to a message-streaming 
> system (I'll be using [NATS](https://nats.io), which is kinda similar to ones 
> like Kafka/RabbitMQ/Redis Streams but more featureful) to handle events from 
> established workflows, etc. - some of these workflow steps include calling 
> LLMs with exposed tools for their usage, like access to shell so LLMs can 
> request shell runs like ls, grep, sed, cat, HTTP reqs with curl, etc.
>
> They also need access to at least a homedir, so they can clone Git projects 
> (or start new ones), save AI skills, prompt templates, install CLI tools in 
> pkg repos for Python, Node.js, Ruby, etc., and have them available in their 
> $PATH so LLMs can use in subsequest agent sessions.
>
>
>
> So, what I'd need:
>
> - fully isolated environments (I think smt similar to a Linux container, but 
> OpenBSD-ish, could do)
> - full access to a homedir, so agents can mess things around but entirely 
> sandboxed
> - control to how they'd be using network (I'm definitely not a network 
> hacker, so I'm not sure what I want here; I just think it'd be good/important 
> to enforce which ports/protocols/IPs/DNSes/domains/etc. agents could 
> use/reach)
> - some way to limit how much resources (eg: CPU power) each of these isolated 
> environments could use (which would limit what its agent can do, but it'd 
> need to include usage of child processes spawned, like bash scripts and/or 
> any other child processes)
> - controlled tight access to these boxes, eg: some VPN like Wireguard 
> directly to a specific environment, so a user/agent connecting to one of 
> these isolated/ephemeral envs will not be able to reach anything from the 
> Host OS, being only able to interact with tools/files/things 
> present/available in its own environment
>
> Also, there are some desired feats, like:
>
> - control access to any other hardware resources (eg: no access to USB ports 
> by default; explicit access to specific resources, possibly identified by a 
> UUID, eg: a very specific external HDD that might bee connected to USB)
> - impose a TTL for one of these isolated environments - eg: it'll exist for 
> 4h, then whatever is in it (agents, installed programs, deps, runtimes, 
> downloaded repos, files, blobs, etc.) will be completely destroyed
>
>
>
> I been initially researching on building this with Linux distros, etc., but I 
> remember reading about OpenBSD strong isolation mechanisms and I have a vague 
> idea that it can work perfectly for this project, specially when security is 
> one of the strongest selling points of the OS.
>
> I've be very thankful for insights, suggestions, and/or contributions of any 
> sort to this endeavor. :) Thanks for building OpenBSD btw!
>
> Joel Jucá. joeljuca.com
>
> Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

just cut and paste that into the agent harness of your choice and see what
comes out?

Reply via email to