On 2026-10-06 02:09, Mike Larkin wrote:
On Mon, Oct 05, 2026 at 07:31:03PM +0300, Atanas Vladimirov wrote:
On 2026-10-05 18:25, Mike Larkin wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 05, 2026 at 03:27:34PM +0300, Atanas Vladimirov wrote:
> > On 2026-09-28 11:30, Atanas Vladimirov wrote:
> > > Hello misc,
> > >
> > > I have the following `veb1` interface:
> > >
> > > ```
> > > $ cat /etc/hostname.veb1
> > > description "LAN switch"
> > > add em1
> > > add vport4
> > > add vport6
> > > up
> > > ```
> > >
> > > and the vm.conf:
> > > ```
> > > $ cat /etc/vm.conf
> > > switch "uplink" {
> > > interface veb1
> > > }
> > >
> > > vm "docker" {
> > > enable
> > >
> > > memory 4G
> > > disk "/raid1/VMs/docker.qcow2"
> > >
> > > interface {
> > > switch "uplink"
> > > locked lladdr fe:e1:ba:d2:02:32
> > > }
> > > }
> > > ```
> > >
> > > and when I start the "docker" vm I have:
> > > ```
> > > $ ifconfig veb1
> > > veb1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
> > > description: switch1-uplink
> > > ```
> > >
> > > i.e. the `veb1` description has been changed from "LAN switch" to
> > > "switch1-uplink".
> > >
> > > So, I wonder if this is intentional?
> > >
> > > In usr.sbin/vmd/priv.c - vm_priv_brconfig() has this:
> > >
> > > ```
> > > /* Description can be truncated */
> > > (void)snprintf(vfr.vfr_value, sizeof(vfr.vfr_value),
> > > "switch%u-%s", vsw->sw_id, vsw->sw_name);
> > >
> > > ```
> >
> >
> > Any comments are welcome :)
> > I can't see a way to prevent vmd to overwrite the interface
> > description.
> >
> > Best wishes,
> > Atanas
> >
>
> we are discussing this off list and should have a solution soon.
Thanks, Mike!
see latest commit. in -current there is now a new 'description' keyword
in vm.conf that can be used for various scenarios including yours.
I saw it :). Great work!
Best wishes,
Atanas