Hi

#Setup:#
A redundant firewall pair (two HP DL380G4) with 3 em dual gig nics (plus 2
unused bge), 6 vlans, pfsync and 1500 rows of pf.conf. OpenBSD 3.8 STABLE
(updated two weeks ago). The generic kernel is used + backported SACK patch
so we could use "synproxy" correctly.

#Problem:#
This redundantfirewall pair just died after a couple of weeks good work. All
interfaces use carp. During the last 24 hours before the problem they have
had a constant 25-30% higher  average load of outgoing traffic 100 to 110
Mbit, and incoming traffic of 80-90 Mbit. A pfstat graph show a packet rate
that is not over 15000 in any direction.

Apr 11 09:32:16 XXXXXX /bsd: WARNING: mclpool limit reached; increase
kern.maxclusters

On the list we have seen people raised kern.maxclusters values to over 65000
without success (the fw just lasts longer) and later got info that they had a
driver bug (xl for example). I unfortunately don't have a "netstat-m" or
"vmstat -m|grep mcl" but assume I would not be happy to see the result of the
output.

#Question:#
This problem is *hopefully* caused by a high network load and therefor only
needs tuning rather than an os problem. A sysctl -a | grep kern.maxclusters
shows the default:
kern.maxclusters=6144
What is a reasonable value for kern.maxclusters in a situation like this?
(We ask as we don't want to raise it to high as we also are afraid of eventual
side effects)

Thanks
Per-Olov
--
GPG keyID: 4DB283CE
GPG fingerprint: 45E8 3D0E DE05 B714 D549 45BC CFB4 BBE9 4DB2 83CE