On 4/16/06, Andrew Daugherity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 4/11/06, Ted Unangst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > rewrite units.  it can convert euros to dollars at an awesome rate of
> > 94 cents per euro, but can't convert temperature.
>
> What's worse is it *does* recognize 'degF' and 'degC' units, but the
> conversion between them only does the multiply/divide by 9/5, but not
> the add/subtract 32 part, so it gives incorrect results.  While this
> inability is mentioned in the man page, it would be better to not
> include 'degF' at all than to have it be incorrect.  Most equations
> would use SI units anyway, right?  (When I first discovered the
> degF/degC units grep'ing through the units library, my first thought
> was that the man page was outdated and it did handle them now;
> unfortunately that is not the case.)
>
> Similarly, currencies fluctuate enough to not be worth including.
>
> Unfortunately, this limitation of multiplicative scales only most
> likely runs rather deep, and would probably require a large amount of
> work to fix.

Why not just redesign the program then, and allow arbitrary
conversions (eg additive, multiplicative, exponential)? As for money,
a script could be written to pull data from somewhere and update the
definitions. http://www.xe.com/dfs/ provides such a service, but for
an extraordinary fee, but I've just found that http://www.imf.org
provides any data you want for any of the 184 currencies they oversee
for any date for free.

This sounds like a fun project. If no one else wants it, I'll do it.

-Nick