Heinrich Rebehn wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]@mgEDV.net wrote:
some hints:
- the other switch seems to be cisco, too. (catalyst series, IOS)
- if the trunk contains more lines, check them for physical damage (maybe 1
fails sometimes, 2 is ok)
- try to setup the cisco-switches for nonegotiate-trunking to your box
- setup the interfaces from autoselect to fixed rates (speed/duplex) on both
sides (switches, box)
- enable debugging on the switch and read what happens for the ports (maybe
on/off events)
- check for portfast/CDP settings on the cisco, maybe interferring w. your
config
- check with a packet-analyzer if the dot1q tags are ok within the packets
- dump transparently with a bridge before and after your box (network
monitoring port on switch may help you)
- set the NICs on your box to the same interrupts (if possible)
- check for a driver replacement for the marvell card provided by marvell
(if you use it for trunking)

good luck!

Many thanks for the many responses :-) Most of them dealt with sk0 not being in full duplex mode. When plugged in, sk0 does negotiate full duplex, though. I also tried using one the the xl interfaces to rule out a problem with the sk(4) driver, still no luck. I still have difficulties to believe that this might be a full/half duplex problem, because things work fine if i use non-dot1q mode (using a different switch port though)

Anyway, i will be on leave next week, and for the week after, i already arranged with the admin of the switch to hunt down this bug together.

I will sure report back then.

--Heinrich

So here is my report:
1. Problem is solved :-)
2. The cause was more complicated than duplex mode or driver issues. Let me try to explain: The original firewall which i was about to replace, had 4 physical interfaces. Interfaces 2 and 4 were bridged with a filtering bridge(4). During my experiments i bypassed the bridge with a cable, so the lans stayed connected when the firewall was down. At that time i already realized that id *had* to unplug one of the interfaces or otherwise i observed the phenomena described in my OP. Obviously obsd does not like seeing packets with the same MAC on different interfaces.

In my new setup i replaced the 4 phys. interfaces with a trunk carrying 4 vlans. In order to avoid the problems i left one of the bridged vlans unconfigured (should have been equivalent to an unplugged cable on the setup described before). But it was not! I had to remove one of the vlans from the trunk on the cisco side for the problems to go away. I am not sure if this is expected behaviour, but anyway, the setup is running fine now!

--Heinrich