On 2006/04/20 17:47, Ashley Moran wrote:
> pf/CARP might worth a try then.  The only issue I have is that it's doing
> whole-server load balancing which is no use if just Apache/lighttpd dies.
> (I'm more concerned with high-availability than load-balancing.)

You could use a package like monit, or something custom and simpler,
to restart the httpd if it crashes.

And/or, you could have a simple program checking the backends
and if one stops answering, remove it from the rdr pool.

> The best alternative I can see is software load balancing on the web servers,
> and the most promising I've found so far (in terms of lightweightness and
> simplicity) is Pound.

You then get to start monitoring Pound rather than httpd :)

If you like this route, there's also pen, a general TCP proxy rather
than HTTP-specific like Pound; it's probably simpler, doesn't need to
link to a threaded OpenSSL library, and is already in packages/ports.

Advantages and disadvantages either way...

Note that some web browsers will connect to multiple A records
before returning an error to the user, and that 'machine up but
httpd down' is detected quickly.

> From what I read, failover is best provided by
> Heartbeat although so far I have only skimmed a few FAQs.

There's a program called Heartbeat on Linux that appears to
do a similar job to CARP, so I don't think you'd need that here.