On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 02:30:00PM +0200, Jonathan Thornburg wrote:
> I already have the (external) DSL modem, and from talking to other
> Unix-savvy customers of my ISP (arcor.de), their setup is that the
> DSL modem talks pppoe to me (in this case to my firewall/router/nat
> box).  From looking at the FAQ section 6, it seems I have two basic
> options available doing this in OpenBSD: pppoe(4) in the kernal, and
> pppoe(8) in userland.  My question is, what are the relative
> advantages/disadvantages of these?

I've used pppoe(4) since 3.8, and I've never had an issues with it. It's
been really stable and seems to be more reliable than any hardware ADSL
router I've use. Looks like you're planning the same setup as I have.

I can't comment at 6Mbit line speeds via the pppoe device. I do know
that with a realtek network card it seems to top the CPU out with
interupt at about 22Mbit of internal traffic.

Dan