On 5/3/06, paul dansing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
php is required in order to use many of the more mature web
applications such as forum software.

It's open for debate whether maturity also extends to the platform
chosen for an application. Fortunately, everyone gets to decide that
for themselves.

everyone says php is a security breach waiting to happen, so what else can i do
if i
want to use these large apps without rewriting them from scratch

You suspend the service or continue it, waiting for said security
breach. Alternatively, you could continue along bolting things down or
auditing code. Or put in the testing effort as requested by
developers. Try what works best for you.

when you post a source patch on your errata page, take the few extra
minutes to make a updated package and post that as well please! :)

Perhaps developers see a better use for those few extra minutes. IIRC,
updated packages (with increasing patch level numbers) also end up on
the distribution sites. If I'm wrong on this, feel free to correct me.

If such a timeframe does not cover your needs, how about setting up
your own build host? It is rather easy to generate release filesets
and packages from the -stable branch. At the expense of some
resources, you solve your problem. It works for me, that is.

Cheers,

Rogier

--
If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there.