Karel Gardas wrote:
Hello,

I've installed OpenBSD 3.9(amd64) on AMD64 box and now I thought about installing i386 OpenBSD minimal install into this installation just to be able to chroot from amd64 environment to i386 without a need to reboot computer. I tried this, but it seems at least on GENERIC kernels it's not supported:

# chroot `pwd`/i386/
chroot: /bin/ksh: Exec format error
# machine
amd64
# file i386/bin/ksh
i386/bin/ksh: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1, for OpenBSD, statically linked, stripped

OpenBSD/amd64 is a totally different platform than OpenBSD/i386.

Do you expect to be able to run sparc apps on alpha?

is this way supported in different kernel configuration? Is it recommended by you OpenBSD folks? I'm asking since this is how I test software on both platforms on debian.

And we all know OpenBSD is just another Linux variant.

Sounds like either they spent a lot of time putting in a compatibility
layer or very little time putting in 64 bit code support.  I'm guessing it
was something "expedient" to help compatibility with binary stuff that
wasn't available in 64 bit code.  You probably think this is a feature of
Debian.  As someone who watched the world spend over a decade running
8088 code and work around 8088 limitations (i.e., EMS)on 80286, 80386 and
80486 and later processors, I think this is a really bad idea.  I am SO
glad that OpenBSD has kept them separate.

Here's an interesting thought...wonder how one would handle the W^X on
your hypothetical OpenBSD/amd64-32.  Some code could use the NX bit,
others would have to play with the MMU...sounds unlikely to be done right.
ok, never mind...not that interesting at all.

Nick.