Ted Unangst wrote:
On 5/2/06, poncenby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Taken from http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/
TorFAQ#ServerAnonymity

"FreeBSD 4.x, all versions of OpenBSD, and all versions of NetBSD
have broken gethostbyname_r() implementations that cause Tor's
threads to stomp on each other. So rather than threading on these
platforms, we made Tor fork new processes. This means you need way
more memory to run a Tor server, especially an exit server. If you
want to run a Tor server, we recommend you upgrade to a better OS."

"i got a flat tire the other day, so now i have to buy a new car."

if using fork() really makes it use that much more memory than
threading, they've done something terribly weird.

Well, they appear to be claiming Linux as "a better OS," so god only
knows what they've done to their server :)