Henning Brauer [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> realtek gigE is easily better than 3com, but then, what is not?
> I'd look for cheapish sk(4)s. there are some. they are pretty darn good.

funny, most of the cheapish sks i've run into are under the 3com/marvell label

the prices of the realtek gigabit cards are great, but re can't do jumbo frames
large enough for a full 8k nfs packet.  also, i'm jaded..the only 8169 card i
ever bought stopped working right after i rebooted the machine, just two
months after the card was put into service.  i figured the savings weren't
real at that point, this keeps it from even being a respectable 100m card!
(to be fair, the failure was probably the cheap ass board and not the realtek
chip itself)  used sk and em cards on ebay are pretty cheap, and you can find
"new pull" versions from various web sites that specialize in "new pull"/
refurb parts.