2006/3/21, Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
--- "Donald J. Ankney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I threw together a Perl script that uses tar and external firewire
> drives. Tar has flags that will let it backup over SMB (for the
> windows
> boxes) and one can always do use scp (via certificates) piped through
>
> tar for remote linux/BSD boxes. I've been using this solution across
> several platforms (all servers) for a year now, and it has worked
> well.
>

> Obi Okeke wrote:
> > An appeal to the Gods of OpenBSD!  Let me write up
> > front that I am most grateful for all that the OpenBSD
> > project has done.
> >
> > Some friends of mine need a backup solution that can
> > easily handle regular, automated backups from some M$
> > Win 2k and Linux workstations as well as an OpenBSD
> > 3.8 based Samba file server that I had set up for them
> > a while ago.
> >
> > I've used FreeBSD 5x running Bacula at another site,
> > but I am looking for an all OpenBSD solution so I
> > don't have to install another box running
> > FreeBSD/Bacula on their site since they already have 2
> > OBSD boxes up and running (perfectly thanks to OBSD) -
> > one for firewall/router/nat/squid and one for the
> > Samba fileserver.  I would like to add the backup
> > solution to the file server box since its not heavily
> > loaded at all.  Any recommendations would be greatly
> > appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
> > http://mail.yahoo.com

I am using rsync.  It also works well.  I wrote small scripts (windows
side) for users to back up at their discretion.  Since they are
actually synchronizing it doesn't take long at all (akin to saving work
in Word or whatever whenever you want).
http://mail.yahoo.com

I regularly use rsnapshot instead of "raw" rsync and it just works :
http://www.rsnapshot.org/

Best regards,

Bruno.